Thursday, June 2, 2011

How I became a writer

  In third grade, I wrote my first play. It was called History Lane. It was about Francis Scott Key, Betsy Ross, and George Washington being best friends. The three of them were neighbors. I know this was not accurate, but, I was being silly. Most of my plays from 3rd to 8th grade were about history. History became my favorite subject in 3rd grade and it still is my favorite subject. I did not start writing stories until 8th grade.
        When I was in 8th grade, I wrote my first story, The True Meaning of War. This story was inspired by a show that I had seen the week before about the American Revolution. It was a show about the Battle of Lexington and Concord. The story was about a loyalist named Sarah Rose whose favorite cousin Jeremiah was murdered at the end of the battle. As she tries to find her cousin's killer, she finds her own definition of the word war.  She comes to the conclusion that the meaning of war is hate. She tells her cousin Isaac this at the end of the story.
           The True Meaning of War is one of my favorite stories that I have written. I am still working on it to make it better. I have always thought that a writer can always get better over time. Originally, the story was called The True Meaning of War is Hate. Then, I thought that tittle might be offensive. So, I took away "is hate" from the tittle. Each of the main characters come up with their own meaning for the word war. This is one of the stories that I hope to one day publish.

No comments:

Post a Comment