Tuesday, August 9, 2011

a favorite quote

  For the next few days, I will be writing about a quote that has stuck with me. Today, the quote is from one of my favorite songs in my favorite musical.
   "On this page, I write my last confession. Read it well, when I at last am sleeping. It's a story of those who always loved you. You mother gave her life for you and gave you to my keeping." Jean Valjean,     Les Miserables finale.
   When I heard this quote for the first time when I was in high school, it made me cry. I was watching Les Miserables videos on youtube and I came across the finale. This song goes through Jean Valjean's last moments on Earth. The song is beautifully written, I love the whole song even though it is the saddest song in the musical. Besides Come to Me (Fantine's death), A Little Fall of Rain, and Empty Chairs at Empty Tables, the finale is a solemn song.  To set up the song, Jean Valjean knows that he is going to die soon and he asks God to bless his daugther Cosette and her husband Marius. Then, Marius and Cosette come and Valjean says that he can die in peace because his life is blessed.
    His last words to his daughter, is one of the most powerful parts of the song. I love hearing Valjean sing, "On this page, I write my last confession. Read it well, when I at last am sleeping. Its a story, of those who always loved you, your mother gave her life for you and gave you to my keeping. Then, Fantine, (cosette's mother) and Eponnie, a girl who loved Marius and eventually died for him earlier in the musical, take Valjean to heaven.
  I have no idea why I love this musical so much. I think I enjoy it because the songs are amazing and the story line is awesome. Jean Valjean is one of my favorite characters. He is such a great person. Jean Valjean is a real hero in the book/musical. Ever since I read the book and listened to the songs from the musical, Valjean was one of the best characters in my opinion. He had so much honor and he really loved those who were close to him.
      

          
       

No comments:

Post a Comment