Friday, August 19, 2011

Another favorite quote

  Ever since 3rd grade, musicals have been one of my favorite things to watch. I have many musicals on dvd. They range from Brigadoon with Gene Kelly to Phantom of the Opera with the guy from the movie 300 playing the role of Phantom. I have really gotten into Phantom of the Opera lately. It is a very good show but some of the relationships are kind of confusing. Basically, it is a love triangle of sorts. Two guys like one girl. One of the guys whose name is Raoul, truly loves the girl. He would never do anything to hurt her. Raoul is a caring, sensitive character which I like. The other guy of course is Phantom. The Phantom is obsessive and wants the girl whose name is Christine to love him. Sadly for the Phantom, she loves Raoul. In my honest opinion, I do not think the Phantom really loves Christine as he claims. If he loved Christine, he would want her to be happy. She happy with Raoul so he should let her go. It is the relationship between these characters that gives me my favorite quote from this very famous musical.
     My favorite quote from this show is, "Love me, that's all I ask of you," this is sung by Christine and Raoul near the middle of the musical.  The purpose of this song is to establish that Christine and Raoul love each other. Unknown to them, the Phantom is listening to the whole thing. This makes the Phantom  really sad. He is in love with Christine just because of her voice. In my opinion, that should not be the only reason to love someone. After Raoul and Christine have left, the Phantom sings a little bit and then he swears vengeance on both of them.  Lovely idea Phantom, make the girl you love miserable because she does not love you. That is so mean! This proves that you do not love her.
       Anyways, when I listen to this song, it makes me happy. Its like a cheer up song for me. This musical is kind of a crazy one but I love it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment