Monday, June 6, 2011

Songs that inspire my writing

 I started loving musicals in third grade. The first musical that I saw was South Pacific. I was to young to understand some of it, but I loved it away. My favorite song for the longest time was "I'm gonna wash that man right out of my hair." a funny song sung by a girl who wants to break up with her boyfriend. Then, she decides against it.
      Anyway, sometimes, songs from musicals will give me ideas for stories. This true for the most recent musical I have seen, Les Miserables. I fell in love with this musical when my grammie's choir at church did a medley of it for a fundraiser. We would listen to the songs all the time. We would also sing along to some of them. Our favorites were "One day more!", "On my own", "Red and Black", and the finale. Grammie told me the storyline of the musical. It is about a man named Jean Valjean and his journey for love and forgiveness.
        Two songs from this musical have inspired stories. One of was inspired by the song "Valjean's Confession" , this is the where Valjean tells his daughter's fiancée the truth about his past. At the very end Marius, the man who is going to marry Valjean's daugther says, "For the sake of Cosette, it must be so", he basically promises to lie to Cosette. I used this song as a story from his point of view. I got into Maruis' head. Surely he was not ok with not telling the truth. She will find out anyway.
          The other song that inspired a story was the finale. There are two lines from that which are my favorite. The first one is "on this page, I write my last confession. Read it well, when I at last am sleeping, its a story of those who always loved you." and I also like "Take my love, for love is everlasting, and remember, the truth that once was spoken, to love another person is to see the face of God." I used this song in general to write a little sequel to the musical from Cosette's point of view. That was fun to do.
       
        This musical and many others have inspired stories. Les Miserables is the musical where I have gotten most of the ideas for stories.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment